Thursday 22 November 2012

Poetry and Debating



To think more deeply about this topic, we students read the poem, “Television” by Roald Dahl during our English lesson. The poem was basically about the negative influence of television on children. One of my favorite lines was that which said,“television makes our brain as soft as cheese”. We followed it up with a debate on this topic about the influence of television. I was in the group which was in favour of the topic which means I talked about the positive influence of television. There were four teams, two teams against the topic and two teams for the topic. We all had our own points and tried to rebut each other’s point too. At the end of the debate, we didn’t care about whose side we were on, we just started to debate on the issue as a whole. It was a new experience I had got a chance to go more deep into the topic while debating. It helped me to speak more confidently. Still, I think I need to practice to speak more in front of everyone because I was feeling so nervous when I was speaking. Even if I speak in front of my classmates I feel nervous. But debating really helped me to speak out my thoughts and I think I spoke three times more than I did before!

-Soohyeon Na
7 B

No comments:

Post a Comment